Thursday, February 4, 2010

Snap Out Of It

I just love this picture! It shows how a part of me feels inside, sort of tough but with a lot of flare. The caption on the picture says "Snap out of it!" A good motto these days.
So, today I had my second radiation treatment...only 34-40 to go. Right now my appointments are at 7:40 a.m. which means I hit the wonderful morning traffic. I'm hoping to get them changed to later in the day. Mostly because I get so frustrated with the traffic that by the time I get there I'm angry and I don't like that. I don't want this to be an angry process. I'm listening to a wonderful mystery book on CDs, so that will definitely help.
I met with the counselor at the cancer center. I built a dollhouse a while ago and decided I wanted to find a mother going through treatments that I could just give it to. This counselor is amazing. One of those people that the second you meet them and shake their hand you immediately feel in the presence of goodness. Anyway, I showed her pictures of the dollhouse and told her my thoughts. Her face brightened and she said, "What do you think about this..." Apparently the center has a huge fundraiser every year and have a silent auction. By the end of the conversation, I had promised my dollhouse for the auction and said between now and then I would furnish it. What could be better than that? This way, a little girl will still get the house, but also I will help raise money for all the programs they offer for free. They have free massages, arts and crafts classes where they display the artwork (all done by cancer patients and survivors), singing groups, support groups, family nights, etc. All of those things are provided free of charge to the patients.
Although this wonderful woman tried her best to get me to commit to about everything, I didn't, but imagine I will get more involved when I'm not so busy. What I would really like to do is take a whole bunch of plain white tennis shoes and a big bag of fabric pens and just wander through the children's ward. I'd love to just sit with a couple kids and help them make their own lucky shoes. (I'll see if I can figure out how to put another picture in this post.) Wouldn't that be an amazing time?! Sounds like I need to get busy.
I've got to get back on a regular schedule of walking. I met Dad yesterday out where he walks everyday. It's an area filled with sagebrush, rabbits, quail, hawks, other birds, and the occasional mud holes...my dogs' favorite part. I forget how much I love to see the dogs doing what dogs do best...running, chasing rabbits, and smelling absolutely everything. By the time we were headed back to the Jeep, they both looked like they had on brown socks and face masks. I swear I heard them giggling as they jumped in the Jeep. I need to do that more often.
Well, that's about it for now. I appreciate you all for reading my thoughts...as mundane as they may be at times...and for thinking of me. So far so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment