Sunday, September 6, 2009

Support Our Heroes

My dear friend took this picture of her husband as he left her and their son to go to Iraq. It really is a simple picture but very loud. The second it came up on my screen, my heart cringed a little and my mind began to race. I consider myself a compassionate person and would like to believe that I have felt the worry and pride in the families of our troops, simply because I am an American. But, until a few years ago when this man did his first tour in Afghanistan, I never understood the depth of those emotions. The volume on the TV seemed to get louder whenever I heard the word Afghanistan. I would picture my girlfriend sitting in front of her own TV with the same concern. As I look at this picture of him, and knowing the type of man he is, I imagine his backpack is not only filled with clothes and gear, but with the weight of his family, his friends, his country. I imagine there is a tear or two on his face as he leaves his wife and baby boy. I imagine he's thinking about all the things he's going to miss out on as his son grows and learns. I imagine he can't wait to get settled somewhere so he can have the first video chat with them. I imagine he's already thinking about the first care package from home and seeing the pictures of those he's left behind. As I look at this picture of him, and knowing the type of man he is, I imagine he is anxious to get on with doing the job he was trained for. I imagine his chest is puffed out a bit knowing he is serving his country in the most deliberate way of all. I imagine he can't wait to fly his first mission, and second and third. I imagine he's looking forward to spending time with his buddies and the support they are for each other. I imagine he's thinking about how much he loves what he is doing and how determined he is to be the best. I imagine he is hoping the time will go by fast. I don't pretend to know really anything about the fighting that is going on or, for that matter, where. I don't think anyone knows for certain why it truly began. I don't really understand what the mission is, what the goal is. I don't think anyone knows everything about any given location and the extent of the fight, although speculators claim to. I don't know, sometimes, how I feel about it all. I do know that I support my friend in his mission. I do know that if he feels strongly enough about what he is doing and the reasons for it that the very least I can do is support him, thank him, and pray for him every day. I do know, that simply because I am an American, that it is my inherent duty to support those who are fighting battles for the rest of us. I do know, that simply because I am a friend, it is my inherent duty to be here for his wife simply because. As I look at this picture of him, and knowing the type of man he is, I wipe the tears from my face, take a deep breath, and wish him luck. Today's challenge: Whether or not you agree or disagree with the fight, find a way to support those fighting.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post as always! Thank u troops for fighting for our country xoxo

    ReplyDelete