Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Parent's Responsibility Never Ends

I have been so blessed to be part of a family who are close, even though not by miles. We truly love, care for, and respect each other. We may not talk every day or even every week but, if one of us is in need, we all band together in a circle of support. It makes me really sad when I hear of families that aren't so. Siblings that are constantly bickering and parents that somehow get the impression that when their children get older that their responsibilities of being a parent simply stop. It's sad to me that they are missing out on the everyday things in each others lives, grandkids, etc. But...the thing that really makes me sad is when an adult child has been diagnosed with cancer and still the parent is not there. I don't pretend to know what the original strife was, or the things that have been done or said in the years that have passed. I do know that cancer trumps it all. Being a two time breast cancer survivor, I know that cancer has a way of bringing things into perspective. Suddenly the things you thought were the most important things don't really matter. The anger and petty baggage you have been carrying simply lose their hold and drop away. You appreciate more the little things and the just being able to walk around. My family was so supportive and uplifting during my surgeries, radiation, etc. The thought of going through all that without them just about makes me cry. I don't know if you are reading this or not, but you know I'm talking to you if you are. No matter who did what, said what, didn't do something, didn't say something...just does not matter anymore. At the end of the day, you are still family, you are still children, you are still parents. If you can't be there for the everyday things...then at least be there for the critical times. God gives parents the privilege of having children. It is the parents' responsibility to take care of them...regardless.

Today is write the word HAPPY twenty times day.

No comments:

Post a Comment