Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Be Kinder To Service Providers

As I sit here trying to think of what to write today, I can hear the garbage truck making its rounds through the neighborhood. I wonder if the driver feels appreciated.  So, now I'm thinking about how sometimes we forget to thank the service people we encounter every day.  A pet peeve I have is when people are talking on their cell phone while getting checked out at a grocery store.  The checker is smiling and trying to make conversation and the person on the phone is simply dismissing her.  Same thing at the bank, the post office, and the nail salon.  Are we so electronically connected that we have lost our ability to communicate with those right in front of us?  I wonder how those people who are being ignored are feeling...a little inferior perhaps?  I wonder how those people on the cell phones are feeling...a little superior perhaps?  I wonder what kind of an impact a little friendly conversation would have on those that are providing a service to us.  I wonder how often they are thanked, not in a habit sort of way but in a way where you really look at them in their face and say, "Thank you.  I really appreciate your helping me today."  The next time someone is providing you a service, look at them in their eyes and offer sincere words of kindness and thankfulness.  I wonder if you will feel the difference in their demeanor....and perhaps your own.

Today is wear yellow day.

No comments:

Post a Comment