Friday, September 9, 2011

Get Involved

How many times have you been in a situation to see some sort of injustice taking place?  Did you do anything?  Did you say anything?  It seems like the news is riddled with people abusing and killing each other, stealing, etc., and inevitably there are people that come out and say things like, "I knew it was just a matter of time...that poor little girl had bruises all the time...I saw him torturing his dog...I heard her screaming all the time...Everyone knew it was going on."  There is always someone who has seen or heard something and chose to do nothing, to not get involved.  I wonder if they carry any guilt for knowing they perhaps could have prevented the tragedy and shattered hearts.  I think it's because people don't want to get involved.  But, if you see or hear something, aren't you already involved?  Like Oprah said, "Once you see something, you can't un-see it."  Personally, I would rather choose to get involved and perhaps save someone, than worry about "it's none of my business".  As far as I'm concerned, if something happens in my space, then it is my business. We need to be more involved.  We need to be more aware.  We need to be more concerned with the safety and happiness that swirls around us.  If you know a child is being abused, tell someone.  If you know a person is abusing animals, tell someone.  If you know someone is being unfaithful to their partner, tell them if they don't tell their partner you will.  If you hear screaming or threats, tell someone.  If you know someone is stealing, then tell someone.  I guess my point is, get involved, help those who seem to be unable to help themselves.  I promise getting involved will be easier to live with than the guilt you may feel if you knew something bad was happening and did nothing about it.  Besides, it is simply the kinder thing to do. 

Today is make Jayda birthday cards day.

No comments:

Post a Comment